Search Tools

Google

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Unsolved Double Murder in 1975

In going through the genealogy information for my own family, I found that my mother's cousin (her mother's sister's daughter) was murdered in 1975. How I found out was through a newspaper article my grandmother had copied into a book. Here's the story as I know it:

In early November of 1975, my mother's cousin - 37 year old Beverly A. (Morris) Withers was babysitting 4 year old Melanie Gargasz at the Gargasz house in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. Beverly, my mother's cousin, was married and had two daughters. Four year old Little Melanie had a at least a 12 year old sister and a schoolteacher mother.

When Melanie's mother, Marilyn, returned home in the early afternoon, she found both Beverly and Melanie dead, from multiple gunshot wounds to the head. According to the New Castle News report, no weapon was recovered from the scene, but the weapon was considered to be a small-caliber weapon. It has yet to be solved. To my knowledge, no one has been arrested - no one prosecuted and no one held accountable.

Although tempted to leave it alone - after all - I never knew this woman, I moved around a lot and can sometimes barely keep track of my own eyeglasses, I felt compelled to just find out what I could. After all - an innocent little four year old shot to death along with her babysitter, who is just about my own age, got me intrigued. I couldn't seem to stop it.

What I found out is that the Pennsylvania State Police have re-activated the case. Yes - it's still considered cold and yes, the chances that the murderer will be caught and punished are small based upon the percentages, I am still hopeful for a resolution.

The families of a perpetual 4 year old and 37 year old deserve no less.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a thing to come across doing family history research!! Hope that someone the guilty party is found and convicted.

mel said...

My step father is Melanie Gargasz's dad. I have been talking to the State Police off and on for over a year. They called Mr. Gargasz and told him they knew who had killed Melanie and Beverly Withers and they felt an arrest was imminent. This was over a year ago. Since that time I have learned that Michael Atkinson and Raymond Tanner are the most likely murderers. Both are in prison. Atkinson is serving 3 life sentences and Tanner is eligible for parole. There is no DNA evidence to test and short of getting a confession, it is unlikely that this case will be resolved. I would like to correspond in greater depth and have a few questions if you would email me at meachamms@bellsouth.net. I look forward to chatting with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I just wanted to say that I remember these murders very well. I was in 5th grade at the time and I went to the trial several times with my mother. I will never forget the names Lawrence Kadunce and Frank Costal. I will also never forget for years and years later (still could be) that the family would put a remembrence of her every year in the new castle news.

Anonymous said...

i too think frank costal and the other guy had something to do with my uncle's murder. he was told by one of these men that he would die in a fire in 3 days and 3 days later my uncle was found burnt to death in his car. ask around about the death of darrell phillips around the same time as this death.

Becky said...

I was at the Withers house with her daughters the day it happened. I remember it well and wish there was more I could do.

Anonymous said...

Becky who are you??? I knew Brenda and Robin quite well I was 15. I dislike her father and Daisy. They are very strange

Anonymous said...

Beverly was my aunt. i so wish the murderer would be found. She was my mother's sister.

Anonymous said...

i think it STINKS that the pa state police think that they have enough evidence to convict the killer of melanie gargasz and beverly withers (they KNOW who it is!!!!)...yet the DA won't "bother" with it, because he DOESN'T think there is enough evidence???!!!!...don't you think that melanie's mom and the withers' deserve SOME SORT OF JUSTICE????!!!...even if the evil being is doing life in prison (YAY!!!!!!!)...the families and friends of the MURDERED loved ones need closure, and a sense of knowing, and everyone else knowing, that the case has been solved after 40 years!!!!!!! if you see this and care AT ALL? call or write: DA joshua lamancusa at the lawrence county courthouse, new castle, pa 16101 ... (724) 658-2541. PLEASE???? let your voice be heard!!!

Anonymous said...

i think it STINKS that the pa state police think that they have enough evidence to convict the killer of melanie gargasz and beverly withers (they KNOW who it is!!!!)...yet the DA won't "bother" with it, because he DOESN'T think there is enough evidence???!!!!...don't you think that melanie's mom and the withers' deserve SOME SORT OF JUSTICE????!!!...even if the evil being is doing life in prison (YAY!!!!!!!)...the families and friends of the MURDERED loved ones need closure, and a sense of knowing, and everyone else knowing, that the case has been solved after 40 years!!!!!!! if you see this and care AT ALL? call or write: DA joshua lamancusa at the lawrence county courthouse, new castle, pa 16101 ... (724) 658-2541. PLEASE???? let your voice be heard!!!

Anonymous said...

I feel this was one of the worst things I have ever experienced. I used to play and have sleep overs with Melanie . Why would someone do this to my friend? Even though we were very young I remember my mom crying and wondering what was wrong then finding out about Melanie. She was a very sweet innocent girl and I wish we could have had our relationship grow. But some bastared took that away from us. Who knows what could have happened but she did not deserved this. It was even more sad enough that her mom lost her other daughter to cancer. And yes I know there should be closure nd the case is close but you can never replace that short time of friendship that I was able to have. So to and your sister sleep well and rest in peace and know you both will never be forgotten.

Unknown said...

Selena

Anonymous said...

Is this case still on going?

Anonymous said...

Beverly's husband was having an affair with Daisy, his soon to be wife after the murders. Daisy and Bob would meet at my grandparents home in New Castle so no one would know. We were not allowed to talk about them meeting there, which was strange to me because neither one lived at my grandmother's house, and they would always meet their in the afternoons, around lunch time. Was Bob ever considered a suspect?

Anonymous said...

brenda withers??