Search Tools

Google

Friday, October 17, 2008

Italian Style Meatball Recipe

This is a great recipe for meatballs. My kids love them and I take the leftovers, slice or crumble them and put them on pizza! Yummy -

About 3 pounds ground meat (I use a mixture of beef and pork or beef and ground sausage)
2 eggs
1 good sized onion, chopped into tiny pieces (this really keeps themeat tender after cooking)
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped into tiny pieces
very small palmful of salt
pepper to taste
medium-sized palmful of grated parmesian cheese
a few dashes of worcestershire sauce or chili sauce
about 1 1/2 palmfuls of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs (if you use italian style breadcrumbs, you add more flavor)

Mix everything together well with your hands. Make into balls and drop into some tomato sauce or tomato juice. I never use spaghetti sauce to cook them in because it's got too many other flavors - just plain sauce or tomato juice is good enough.

Cook at a medium temperature for about 3 hours and keep the lid on the pot between stirrings. This helps keep the steam in and if youfind that a medium temp might burn them, just turn down the heat a little. You can also crockpot them overnight.

When I serve it, I do heat up some spaghetti sauce separately and don't really use the juice I cooked the meatballs in.

No comments: