Search Tools

Google

Thursday, May 17, 2007

New Cat!



OK - for all who didn't know, we *used* to have a cat named Smokey. During our move from Texas to Pennsylvania, my mother stole her from me. All I did was ask my parents to watch Smokey for a few weeks while we were moving because we didn't want to keep her in a cage for so long. I dropped her off one Saturday and went back the next weekend to visit since my parents had never had a cat before and were nervous about what to do. Just about the first words out of my mother's mouth were "You don't feed that cat right!" I walked into the living room and found that my mother purchased a small pet store - LOL. She bought toys, a cat brush, catnip, special food, cat scratchers and set up a special little chair so Smokey can look out the window. So - I gave up. Smokey stays with my parents and gets thoroughly spoiled. Here's a picture of the traitor - I mean - Smokey sleeping on my dad's lap.


Anyway - a few days ago, a friend of mine stopped by for lunch and told me of a story that happened the day before. She was driving home only to see a little golden kitten running across the road and in danger of being hit by the trucks passing by. She stopped and picked the kitty up and took him home. Unfortunately, they can't have cats in their house due to their rental agreement, so she offered him to me. I got a new kitty cat! His name is Chuck Norris and we think he's about 6-8 weeks old. I brought him home today and although Opie (our dog) and Chuck handled each other pretty well - Opie is out of sorts right now. He's not rough or mean, but it's driving him nuts having this little thing in our house. Word to My Mother: Hands off this cat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK – for all who didn’t know, we never had a cat before my daughter left her cat here permanently. She had Smokey for a couple years, and then she got their dog, Opie, who immediately put great fear into Smokey. For self-perseverance, Smokey would go into hiding all day, only coming out at night when Opie was sleeping to get something to eat and take care of her personal needs. During her move, my daughter made further appeals to give Smokey to a good home by stating that Smokey started losing all her hair due to stress.

During her move from Texas to Pennsylvania, my daughter saw her chance – she showed up one Saturday morning, unannounced, and within 5 minutes had the litter box placed and setup, the food tray filled with food and water and the cat settled in here at my house. Now, mind you, this from a child who could never clean her room in a timely manner when she was growing up. She moved fast. She told me how much Smokey loved me, and how happy she would be in her new home!

My daughter said, “So – I gave up”, which can be interpreted as “My mother finally took the hint”. Note how quickly and easily that was done. She really enjoys telling people how I stole her cat, embellishing as she goes. In all reality, I really have enjoyed having Smokey – she is great company, and as cute as a button. As any grandmother knows, spoiling pets and grandkids are what grandparents LOVE to do!

Joys Of Living said...

Gee Mom - thanks for the post - Ha ha ha ha...... There may be two sides to every story, but I still stand by mine! Love ya'